Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Haunting Image

This image keeps "haunting" me.

Earlier this year, I had a dream in which L. Sprague de Camp came unexpectedly to my house looking just like this. Last night, I was attending the wedding reception of a former colleague of my wife and I was seated at a table with a charming gentleman who looked eerily like the young and beardless De Camp seen here -- sans the horned helm, of course. I hope I didn't stare too much at the poor fellow, but it really was odd how much he looked like De Camp.

Ah well.

I'm busy digging myself out from under more emails and comments -- that's what I get for taking one day off a week -- so it'll be a while before I have any substantive posts today, but, rest assured, they will come. At the very least, I have a post about HPL that I didn't make yesterday and possibly the first part of my multi-part review of Jim Raggi's Lamentations of the Flame Princess RPG releases, starting with Tower of the Stargazer.

8 comments:

  1. it seems to me Decamp probably crashed your party do to the festivals they're having in the Dreamlands for HPL's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, your dreams are so square.

    ReplyDelete
  3. > James, your dreams are so square.

    It's probably better not to ask for your definition of a /weird/ dream. :)

    =
    Thanks, James, and somewhat well timed in that I'd been thinking to add a personally "haunting image" to a reply on your HPL thread yesterday - being the last photograph of HPL's wife, a faded Polaroid of Sonia looking out of place, out of time, sitting outdoors in the Californian sun in 1972; long time after, long time ago - which I keep tucked into the back of one of his books waiting for a future reader to stumble upon. Couldn't resist adding a couple of HPL's quotes in that context...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's probably better not to ask for your definition of a /weird/ dream. <

    That would be wise. I wish I just dreamed about well dressed literary figures showing up at my house.

    My dreams are probably more like Lovecraft had than James' worst Canadian bacon and jelly donut fueled dreams. Hoo boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dreams are probably more like Lovecraft had than James' worst Canadian bacon and jelly donut fueled dreams. Hoo boy.

    Seeing as I neither eat Canadian bacon nor jelly donuts, my dreams likely have another source.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you call yourself Canadian, JM? Take off, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you call yourself Canadian, JM?

    Actually, I don't call myself that, but lots of people seem to make the assumption.

    ReplyDelete